CovEndNote

Monday 18 February 2008

EndNote error in Word

If you encounter an EndNote error message "The specified Word library cannot be unloaded because it is in use." when opening Word documents you need to follow the steps below:

  • In Word go to Help > About Microsoft Office Word
  • Select Disabled items…
  • Select EndNote and click OK
  • If prompted, allow the files to be loaded into Word
  • Close Word and re-open

The EndNote toolbar should now appear within Word and the error message should not reoccur.

Note: The instructions above are for Word 2003/2003/2000. If you are using Word 2007 the steps will differ slightly:

  • Click on the Office Icon and select Word Options
  • Click on Add-ins
  • Change the Manage options to Disabled Items
  • Click Go
  • Highlight any EndNote items that are displayed and click Enable
  • Click Close and then OK.
  • If prompted, allow the files to be loaded into Word
  • Close Word and re-open

Labels: , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

  • Thanks for posting this. It worked immediately. Do you why endnote was disabled in the first place?

    By Blogger Brian, At 19 February 2008 at 00:08  

  • I'm glad you found the information useful.
    The problem seems to be intermittent, depending on the settings of Word on the individual PC. I will make IT Services aware that EndNote is being disabled on some campus PCs and see if there is anything they can do to correct the settings.

    By Blogger Hannah, At 19 February 2008 at 08:51  

  • Thank you! This tip saved me a lot of searching and fiddling!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7 March 2008 at 07:46  

  • thank you thank you thank you! I almost fainted when this error came up...have enough on my plate with trying to wind up my thesis...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9 March 2008 at 05:03  

  • Thanks for posting this - it worked for me as well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 13 March 2008 at 21:09  

  • Another thank you from a user nowhere near Coventry! The world thanks you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 30 March 2008 at 14:34  

  • Oh my god, you saved my life ! I lost my whole afternoon trying to figure this out and I was about to cry ! The endnote help was totally useless but you solved my problem in 30 seconds.
    Thank you so much !!

    Chemikerin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 16 April 2008 at 21:58  

  • Thanks! I spent a good deal of time uninstalling and re-installing endnote and searching endnote help. Didn't know what to do next...but this helped immediately!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1 May 2008 at 23:53  

  • Oh thank god! You have been immensely helpful to a frustrated student. Many thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 22 May 2008 at 13:09  

  • why didn't i ask you first???!!!
    thanks heaps for such a clear explanation so such an annoying problem

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4 October 2008 at 13:28  

  • A very useful post! In my PC it happens after install the Adobe Professional, maybe it disable End Note.

    An extra thanks.

    Z.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7 October 2008 at 16:51  

  • Thanks!

    I already re-installed Endnote and was considering re-installing Word when I found your comment. You saved me lot of grief, thanks.
    Bela

    By Blogger Unknown, At 1 December 2008 at 00:15  

  • Thaks a lot for this...it was really annoying.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1 June 2009 at 00:40  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home